Sunday, July 14, 2019

Beowulf helps


Beowulf 
I don't know about y'all but I don't really remember much about Beowulf.  I am pretty sure I read it in High School but I know that we didn't do an in depth study.  This upcoming year The Diva will be studying British Lit...starting with Beowulf.  In the spirit of helping her...and actually knowing what the heck I am talking about...I thought I best get started.  This blog post will be updated as I continue my personal study of Beowulf.  It is no means meant to be an exhaustive study guide.  I am NOT an expert but I thought to share what I find interesting and helpful to me. 
First of all I am using two different editions of this epic poem.  The first is found in two places:   The Norton Anthology of World Literature which I found used at Goodwill.  I find this to be very helpful because of the footnotes included.  The translation is by Seamus Heaney.  I found this copy of his translation available on Amazon and Barnes and Noble. 
 
Below is the edition that CC recommends for the student. 
 

Of the two, I prefer the Seamus Heaney version.  I like that the Old English is on one page and the new translation is opposite on the other.  To each their own.  HOWEVER, I am already finding that I often refer back to the Norton Anthology for the footnotes.  So, keep that in mind. 

My Notes: 

Likely written in the year 850.  50 years after Charlemagne was crowned Holy Roman Emperor of Europe.
Longest Epic poem written in Old English.  The Anglo-Saxon language of the time.

Written long after that actual events told in the story.  The only event that can be dated is the death of Beowulf’s lord, Hygelae…in a raid on the Franks…that happened around year 520.
This would have been a story known well and shared orally over the generations.  Not about the English…whom it was written for but their forebears- the Germanic tribes of the South Danes of Denmark, those to the east in southern Sweden known as the Geats, also other northern European tribes- the Swedes, the Frisians, and the Franks.

Tribes and the thought of where they were from:
·         South Danes- Denmark
·         Geats- Southern Sweden
·         Swedes- Central Sweden (Svealand)
·         Frisians- Coastal Netherlands and Coastal Germany
·         Franks- Gaul and part of Lower Germany
·         Heatho-Bards- Lower Saxony
·         Wulfings- an Eastern tribe of the Geats ( Sweden)
·         Waemundings- a Swede clan of unknown location

 https://www.gutenberg.org/files/16328/16328-h/16328-h.htm  a translation of the epic by Lesslie Hall, Ph. D.  in 1892.  Much effort was made to keep this in the truest and most pure translation.  Keeping in the style and rhythm of the original verse.  

https://archive.org/details/songofbeowulfren00gorduoft/page/n11  the same translation as offered by CC. offered by archive.org.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IofrnpOT9Z0  Some great suggestions for understanding themes in each Monsters story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yby0ZylJAKk  the first of several lessons about Beowulf from a professor online.  I have listened to this entire lesson and will have my daughter use all of his lectures to further her understanding.

Things to know:  (I will be adding more as I continue my study...)

During this time GLORY was the motivating factor for men.  

The tribes would war amongst each other for land, riches, Glory and such.  Often these feuds would last generations.

Dane-is basically like a knight to king.

Weregild- "man-money" a price one would make for killing another.  This was basically to end a feud.  Thusly, the more important the victim...the higher the Weregild to be paid.  

Mead-Hall-  the inner sanctum of the the King and his men.  Considered to be the safest place.



No comments:

Post a Comment